Friday, August 17, 2012

#75 – A Day that Was as it Should Be - Aug 16, 2012

Morning came too quickly. I stumbled out of bed, got dressed, and could not find my badge for work. It was not in the only 2 places I ever leave it. So I decided to eat my breakfast and read the news while I let my brain think about it.


Sure enough, once I was full, my badge and some other paperwork I needed were in the next place I looked. I took off for the fab. The work day was as busy as expected. A couple machines had been down for a few days, and the customer needed them badly. In addition, we had an executive review of a project I am part of, and that took an unexpected hour to prepare for. I left at 4:30, knowing I had another hour or 2 of work to do in the evening for updates.

At home, I was able to relax for a good long time. We met our neighbors today, the new ones who moved in a week ago. She is retired, he works at a nuclear power plant. And they have grand kids! One of them is a Star Wars and Lego-obsessed boy Christian’s age. Another is a very excitable 7 year old girl. Libby and Christian now have excellent friends. It turns out that the neighbors have a pool table and play room. We have a pool and Lego room. The kids go back and forth through the forest. The girl stayed to have dinner with us, and the neighbor woman came over to chat. It was really nice – the kind of openness and friendliness we never saw in our neighborhood in Oregon. There was always a distance (at least with me); I don’t feel any of that here.

Aria made cheeseburger casserole, and we just hung out after that. The entire family had been in the pool area. Katrina pulled weeds, and dad and the kids got rid of the piles of leaves and sand I swept up yesterday. The pool looks really nice now. Not perfect (not as nice as it will look next year) but it’s actually pretty to look at now.

Just before bed, I sent out a report for work, and found out that one of the critical machines was back to production, and I was able to be a lot less worried about work after that.

This is a picture publicly available on the interwebs of the building where I spend half of my mornings.  I won't say anything else about it because that's not cool.  I got it here.

No comments: