Thursday, August 2, 2012

#57 - Pool! Callings! Life Happens! - July 29, 2012

Yet another early Sunday today. The choir is singing, and so we have to meet early to rehearse before Sacrament meeting. It will be only the 4th or 5th time that Katrina and I have both sung in the choir together. I’m so glad our kids are older. So I woke up at 6, and found that Katrina wasn’t there. She was in the living room on the computer. She couldn’t sleep. Dreaming of fumes from the epoxy kept her up, and she had been there since 4.


The pool was looking much better. I put some more chemical in it to finish the job, did some other random housework, and woke up the kids at 6:30. The laundry finished drying, and I got the kids to get dressed, and headed up to the shower. As I was getting dressed, I learned that Katrina found out about Jake’s poison ivy thing. She had found that rubbing alcohol will break up the oils. So she sent me to the store to get some.

The drive over and back was quick. I warmed up some mac and cheese and ate it quickly. Then I get Jake in the bathroom and wiped his neck with the alcohol. He was fine at first, and then it started to sting and he cried. He didn’t move, but he was in pain. So I wiped water on it. In just a few seconds, he had recovered. He wiped his tears with a tissue, and then he was good to go.

We left at 8:15, and arrived at the same time as the choir director. We practiced, we sang, and Jake felt like he had a fever and slept the entire meeting. So I went out to the car with him and we hung out together. It was nice. I got 3 callings today, as well. I’m the new choir director, the primary pianist, and the 11-year-old scout leader. Choir director is easy, scouts will be fun, although a week time burden of a few hours. The primary pianist is going to be a real challenge. I’m going to have to rehearse a LOT, and I’ve got to improve my playing very quickly. I’ve been very upfront with everyone about my lack of ability and my willingness to try.

The afternoon was relaxed. I finished reading Crispin – The Cross of Lead. Then I cleaned out the choir binders while Katrina napped. I made dinner, and then the kids and I went out to play in the pool for the first time this season while Katrina started painting our closet. It’s now a very very very feminine pinky-purple. It looks really nice, and I like to see some color.

The pool was great. Everyone (except Katrina) got in, and everyone went down the water slide. Aria went down twice, everybody else just once. Christian wasn’t too scared by it, but didn’t want to do it again. Libby came off the slide and touched the bottom. When she bobbed up, she was completely panicked. I held her and took her to the ladder and she climbed out. She kept saying she almost drowned. Jake was the last one. I told him to close his mouth, close his eyes, and plug his nose. He said yes. Then he came down the slide with his eyes and mouth open and his hands both up in the air. He bobbed right back up to the top, too. He wasn’t interested in going down the slide again.

We squirted each other, played, swam, had fun, and then cleaned up. When we left the pool area, it was cleaner than when we arrived – fewer leaves, fewer weeds, and all the toys were inside where they belonged. What a night.

No comments: