Thursday, August 2, 2012

#58 - The last day as a vagrant - July 30, 2012

I met with one of my team members in the factory at 5am to start the day, and had a really nice conversation with him. I find as I continue in my role here that I have a lot more flexibility than I felt I had at my last job. I can comfortably tell someone he needs work in a certain area, and not worry about how that might bite me later. The team accepts my leadership and experience. It’s still odd.


For my personal professional development, I think this area has the largest potential for positive growth: understanding and accepting my role as a leader of my team.

On the home front, I stopped by the school offices to pick up paperwork, but they were closed. I got a couple pizzas for dinner, and we tried to make some progress to get ready for the movers. But I just didn’t have the energy for it. The kids went to the pool and had a great time. This picture is Jacob reacting to my assertion that I’m better to blowing up his floatie than mom because I have more air in my head. Then he asked if I got out all the air in my head, would I die? When we told him yes, that I was risking my life to blow up his toy, he called our bluff. These credulous days will only last so long. I’m going to enjoy them while I can.

The carpet people came out to do the living room and stairs today. It’s wonderful – soft, the pad is great, and it looks very nice. The sculpted border is not as smooth as I’d like it, but it’s still a very nice space.

The house is a wreck – the few boxes we came with are blown up and strewn around the dining room. The kitchen is dirty, the garage is clogged with empty boxes, and there are random things strewn everywhere around the house. Clothes, paint brushes, food, wrappers, toys, tools. Everywhere. And it’s not 1 person’s deal. We’re all guilty. But I don’t have the energy to deal with it tonight. Tomorrow, I’ll wake up early and get it ready.

No comments: