Wednesday, February 29, 2012

#54 - A trip to an airport smaller than Eugene

Monday, February 27

Today I am thankful that my generation is not necessarily massively stupider than previous generation's.  Proved by this photo, tooken at O'Hare.  You may notice the most excellent use of apostrophe's to denote the plural of word's in this poster.  It turns out that O'Hare is named after a WWII combat ace named Butch O'Hare.  He was beloved by High School Grad's everywhere.

Today was harsh - Katrina and I were up late talking, and we got up at 4 so I could catch the MAX at 4:45.  I was airborne at 8, carrying a little headache with me that did not start to abate until I got a most awesome burger at Johnny Rocket's in Chicago.  Then off to Westchester County Airport.  I love this airport.  It is what most airports should be, in my opinion: 4 rooms.  A 40' x 40' room for checkins on 6 different airlines, a 40' x 40' room for rental car counters and the one baggage carousel, a loft waiting/viewing area, and a 150' x 40' terminal area with about 8 doors in it leading onto the tarmac.  When I arrived, I got off the plane.  The baggage claim?  Can't miss it.  Really, you can't.  You have to walk through it on your way out.  Rental car center?  The counter is about 20' from the luggage carousel.  Need a return itinerary to rent a car?  No problem.  Leave your bags by the rental counter, walk 100' to the United ticket agent, and ask them to print your itinerary.  Get your keys.  Walk out the door and 200' down the sidewalk, and you're at the combined Avis/National/Hertz/Enterprise rental car parking lot.  Drive away.  It's lovely.

And there is a direct flight to Nassau, the Bahamas.

Once I landed, a great weight lifted.  I was home.  My headache disappeared by the time I hit my hotel room, and sleep at 11pm was a welcome respite from a long travel day.

I only have 1 more round trip to go, I think.  That is exciting.

No comments: