Tuesday, February 28, 2012

#53 - The reality of selling

Sunday, February 26

Today I am thankful for love.  It was a tearful day.

I woke up early - I woke up early Saturday, too, to do a conference call for work a 5am.  The call is quick and painless, and I went out to the studio to keep working.  Then church, then back in the studio for work.  By 8pm, I was done.  The floor was mopped, the carpet swept, I had removed 10 kitchen garbage bags full of garbage, packed 6 moving boxes full of stuff, and filled 3 shelves with things that belong at my parents' house.

The reality of selling?  You have to remove all the things you need to make a space useful in order to make it seem spacious.  Paints?  Put them on a shelf on proud display: "We paint in here!"  The brushes?  Put them in a cup on the shelf.  The paper plates to mix the paints?  Put away.  The brushes that dried out?  Thrown away.  The projects that turned out less than stellar?  Packed away.  Same thing with my airplanes and supplies, the little microscopy lab setup we have.  In the end, I have a space that is free of encumbrances, and nearly free of usefulness as well.  But it sure is pretty.

In the evening, I got to set down with Aria for a few minutes.  We miss each other when I have to travel.  So we cried and hugged.  And cried some more.  And promised to write to each other every day about our Book of Mormon reading.  That's something we share.

And then it was time to chat with Katrina for a bit and go to sleep.

And now, your Sleepy Hollow-eyed Tom pic of the day.  This bridge did not exist when Washington Irving wrote the story.  The current bridge serves a function at the cemetery, but is built in this classical manor for good photo ops.  The cemetery's web site says this clearly.  The bridge most likely pictured in the story is now Rte 9, a 4-lane highway that runs parallel to the Hudson River.


No comments: