Monday, February 20, 2012

#47 - Oddities

Monday, February 20

Today I am thankful for diversity.  NYC is supposed to be the country's melting pot.  I think the metaphor is a little strained - it's more of the nation's salad bowl.  Cultures don't come here to be subsumed.  They come here to mix, but they are still themselves.

To wit: today, while on my regular house hunting meanderings, I drove past church.  The sign out front reads: Chinese Christian Church.  In most of the world, that's an oxymoron.  Not here.  Moreover, just across the street is a Hindu Samaj temple.

In the rest of my wanderings, I stopped to see 9 houses.  Some of them are beautiful.  Some are decidedly not beautiful.  One of them has a dessicated (and largely eaten) deer carcass.  Yep.  The place is vacant, so I poked around the house.  When I was done poking around the house I thought I walk a little of the areage.  Behind the stand of evergreens lies a pile of junk.  A 20' boat on a trailer, whose wheels are sunk 5" in the ground; tires; a heating oil drum; lawn chairs; a deer carcass.  I can not tell if the carcass was eaten by animals, or if the hunter butchered it.  What is clear is that this junk pile out back was used by someone who was not grandma.  And that she rarely went outside.  Because I think that deer would have stunk something mighty.

Blogging early today, because I'm heading out to choir rehearsal tonight and won't get the chance later.

If you are curious about the housing situation here, go to www.realtor.com.  In the search spot near the top, put in these addresses.  These are places that we like so far:
7 dartantra dr, Hopewell Junction NY
9 memory lane, Hopewell Junction, NY
346 Bingham Rd, Marlboro NY
11 Russo Dr, Hopewell Junction NY
9 old mill rd, poughkeepsie, ny

These 5 all pass the "we could live here" test.  There are more that I haven't processed yet, but these have been through the photo review, I've seen them in person, and the numbers (sf, lot size, commute time, price) all work.

No comments: