Thursday, February 9, 2012

365 #36 - Mr. Tumnus?

Thursday, February 9

Today I am thankful for antibiotics.  Z-Max in particular.  I had my first dose on Tuesday.  By tomorrow morning, I expect to be effectively healed.  My sinus infection symptoms have abated significantly.  Today, it felt like the dam broke and the sinuses wanted to drain all at once.  That's difficult to work out in an office.

I took care of some work at the hotel early this morning, grabbed a quick breakfast, and as I left the hotel lobby at 6:10, the attendant said, "There's a light dusting of snow.  It's nothing."  To him, it was nothing.  To me, it was Narnia.

Had another busy day at the office; I'm feeling more at home and more like I know what I'm doing each day, as a person should expect.  At lunch, I took the chance to go to a couple banks and check out mortgage offerings.  Unfortunately, neither bank had a rep available to talk to me.  So I got one guy's card, and another bank's blank mortgage application.  Both nice places, though.

Twilight here is long, and these days starts at about 5:20.  The mountains and hills around here hide the sun early, but the sky is light for a while.  Today I was looking for places to hike with Tim on Sunday, and found a huge state park just 10 miles from the office.  It's called Fahnestock memorial state park, and it's 14000 acres.  Lake Canopic is there.  It's called a winter park for some reason.  There was a swinging gate across the entrance.  I parked outside it.  Another car came in behind me, swung the gate open (I didn't notice it wasn't locked) and drove through.  I kept walking.  There are trails marked on the trees.  It is clear that the trails are meant for cross-country skiers.  Trails are marked as "expert skiers", and this sign advises skiers to remove their skis before crossing the road.  The park is located at the intersection of the Taconic State Parkway and SR301.

Lake Canopis peeks through the forest here.
This shot was taken just off SR301.

In this picture, the other big difference in the forests
is obvious: large basalt formations are everywhere.

Lake Canopis is partially frozen.  There are 50 miles of trails
in this park.  Imagine if Hagg Lake had a bunch of
forest around it, and was located at the intersection
of I-5 and Nyberg rd.  It would be awesome.  This is
similarly awesome.
                     








The paved road winds down from the highway to the level of the lake, 100 feet or so lower in elevation.  It's a beautiful place, and I hope to be able to explore it more when the family comes to join me.

No comments: