Wednesday, February 8, 2012

365 #35 - Becoming the Borg

Wednesday, February 8

Today I am thankful that everyone has finite capacity.  I was able to become confident in my ability to do well at this job today now that I understand it better.  And I have, to a small degree, assimilated.

Monday I felt like I was drinking from a fire hose.  I walked in the building, sat down, and 30 minutes later was invited to a meeting.  Meanwhile, I had my boss stopping by every few minutes to tell me something else, introduce me to someone else, and lots of other activity.  It was a busy Monday.

Tuesday I felt worse - less healthy, but the job seemed doable.

Today, I was finally (it's only been 3 days, I know) able to sit down with my comanager, ask some intelligent questions, and get started discussing strategy.  We have things we need to accomplish, and we're thinking along the same lines.  It was fun - I really like the guy, and I think we'll push each other in a friendly way toward excellence.  We're very different - he's a little older than I am, unfailingly polite, a real gentleman.  He's not a loudmouth, doesn't speak unless he has something to say.  And he honestly tries to communicate well all the time.  In my 3 days here, he's been very supportive.  Very happy to be part of this team.

I am also, now more so than ever, officially a TEL employee.  I got my official badge today.

After work, I stopped by a discount store and browsed a bit.  Electric snow blowers are on sale, as are snowshoes, swimsuits, snow shovels, and crayons.  Dinner at Subway (it's Febru-any, after all), and then off to the church.  It was youth night - everything happens on Wednesday nights here.  Young men, young women, cub scouts, everything.  The parking lot was pretty much full.  I found brother Clark, who we chatted with last time we were here.  I told him our situation.  It's likely I'll be working in Cub Scouts again.  I'll also be a sub primary teacher.  Should be fun.  And - the ward choir meets right after church.  It's a cute building - 2 floors, small blue chapel, lots of space for people to spread out.
So this is on its side.  Rotate your head 90 deg clockwise and it'll look pretty normal

I had intended to get a picture of Aria's YW leader, but I felt funny asking people I didn't know if I could take their pictures.  So I got a couple pics of the building as well as a ward directory.

I'm going to stop covering work each day in this blog - it least it will get very much more general than the last 3 days.  Companies expect a certain amount of privacy about their internal workings, and I need to honor that.  So now I'll call the family and go to sleep.

No comments: