Monday, February 13, 2012

#40 - I'm lovin' it

Monday, February 13

Today I am thankful I left my job.

There are so many reasons for it.  Last week was a tough one, and with all the people at the office who said to me, "I'm glad I don't have your job," I began to suspect that I might be in for more than I had bargained for.  I finally had my weekly 1:1 with my boss today.  Turns out my suspicions were wrong.  Life is going to be good in the long term.  In the short term, things are starting to gel.  I'm able to speak up from time to time, and sometimes I'm right.  I truly love my job and everything about it.  I have not been this happy at work in close to 10 years.

On my big day Saturday, I went looking in stores I had seen and was curious about.  One of them is Namco.  They are the region's largest dealer of above-ground pools, patio furniture, and pool tables.  While 2 of these 3 are rarities in Oregon, they are all very common here.  Namco has a large selection of each, at good prices.  I had a nice chat with the salesman.  I usually avoid salespeople, but I'm trying to be a bit more friendly and open.  And I wasn't in a hurry.  So I talked with the guy for a bit.  He showed me a pool, talked me through the preparation and permitting process, and didn't try to pressure me in any way.  Totally awesome.
Because he did not try to force me to buy something from him, I will almost certainly buy something from him.  Not until I have a house to put it in, but I expect to be a Namco customer in the near future.

Next to Namco is a family-friendly place everyone should enjoy.  It was only half-full at noon on a Saturday, and a family can use it all together for $23/hr.  This is not a joke.  Someone actually paid to make this sign, prominently displayed along the busiest road on the East Hudson.


No comments: