Thursday, June 7, 2012

#5 - Signing Contracts - June 6, 2012

Today's entry and yesterday's entry have the same date.  But it's because I decided to fix the offset.  I write each morning about the previous day, and I was titling these with the day I wrote it.  But I was writing about the previous day.  So now the title date will match the day it was written about.

Anyway.

Katrina and I used the middle portion of our day yesterday to drive to Newburgh.  "What's in Newburgh?" you may well ask.  "Isn't that a college town?"  On this side of the country, Newburgh (which isn't a really inventive name when you think about it) is a town driven by the Stewart Air Force Base and Stewart airport.  It happens to be the town where our attorney has his office. 

We arrived on time to this run down office.  Which is 2 of 2 that have been a little shabby.  I always thought of lawyers as TV lawyers, or at least dentists when it came to offices.  Both of our real estate lawyers have worked out of shabby, run-down offices.  At this office, I get the distinct impression that the lawyer doesn't do anything. 

Unlike our previous lawyer, however, he hired someone who does do everything.  Karen is the paralegal there, and she is excellent.  Our contract had been emailed the previous night, and she had printed it, but had not had a chance to read it yet.  She printed it in triplicate, and we sat down to read and sign it, and add our own rider.  We chatted as we went - she was raised in Manhattan, worked on Wall Street as a junior accountant, raised 6 kids, etc.  Really friendly, hyperactive woman. 

We ended up with a little certainty.  We paid the 2% down they requested, added a few details to the rider, and signed the documents.  Our closing date is July 15.  Later than we wanted.  But we've been wanting clarity, and this seems pretty clear.  On the good side, I did a little looking on Craigslist, and found several fully furnished 3-br places available that are in our price range.  I can't ask the company to extend us again at the hotel, and I want to move out.  I'm done living there.  So we'll make that decision in the next week or so, and probably leave the hotel as soon as the kids finish school on June 22nd. 

I also got to go to Cub Scouts with Christian last night - turns out I'll need to drive his advancement much more than I expected.  Time to get busy - the clock is ticking.  They have fun, but they are not very advancement-driven.  We may move to a local non-LDS pack and troop for him to really get into scouting.

No comments: