Tuesday, June 26, 2012

#21 - Camping in NY - June 22, 2012


I had to start today early - my intent was to get us out to the camp site as early and as prepared as possible.  So I swung by Walmart on my way to work and picked up what we needed - pastaroni, trail mix, marshmallows, the standard car-camping fare. 


Work went by easily - nothing really down.  I made more progress on my projects, and made a run to the storage unit at lunch to get our camping gear put together.  I made some calls about the house, but nothing important.  I did get to talk to my attorney, but she had no news for me. 

I got home, picked up the boys, and we left for camping.  I was expecting something cool, but I was shocked by what I found there. 

Behold, Camp Liahona!

 I parked, and nobody else was really there yet. So we hung out for a while - Christian and I threw a frisbee inside due to the rain.  And there was an inside to be in.  The gym is relatively large, there's a stage, and on the other side of the stage is a large open room with a fireplace.  In between there is a small kitchen.

The camp is 80 acreas along Whaley Lake, which is a man-made lake close to Pawling, NY.   There are a few large flat areas for camping, large bathrooms with showers, canoes to rent, a lifeguard on duty during the summer, large fire pits.  The place is amazing.

These first 2 pictures were taken Friday night as I wandered the camp and played basketball with a couple guys and frisbee with Christian.

Before it got dark, we had worked out that neither of the boys wanted to sleep in the tent alone, so I got set up in there.  We cleared out space in the back of Gortja (without the 3rd seat, it's rather spacious) and borrowed a couple sleeping bags from the someone on the ward.

Then we went up the lodge and did a get-to-know-you game until Jake had had enough and so had I.  We left, roasted marshmallows and settled down to sleep. 

The boy scouts ran around and screamed until midnight as I tossed and turned in my tent.  I think the boys dropped right off at 10 and slept all night.  Right as the scouts calmed down, a torrential rain started.  I've never experienced a harder rain in my life - it was as hard as the worst rains of tsuyu in Japan.  In the middle of this, the rain fly earned its name and flew up off my tent.  Just a bit, but enough that I had to go outside in the rain and fix it.  The rain let up about 2:30, which gave me about 2 hours to toss and turn on the hard ground before the sun came up.

It was a nice night - Christian did not want to share a space with Jake, but he eventually relented.  I suppose the main thing is the teamwork that Christian and I can now enjoy.  I needed more water to cook dinner, and he willingly put his shoes back on and got some.  After dinner, I wanted to fill my water bottle and he asked me to fill his.  So I did.  Christian is so personable.  He gets emotional easily, which I don't mind and I understand.  What I really appreciate is that he is slowly working through his emotions and eventually comes around.

Usually when we disagree on something, we will both state our reasons.  Sometimes he is right, and we'll do it his way.   Or it doesn't matter, and we'll do it his way.  When he's not right and it does matter, I make the decision.  He gets upset, and makes the same arguments over and over again.  Eventually I cut off the discussion.  He goes off, thinks about it, and usually comes back with, "You know, dad, you were right.  I really wanted to not share a space with Jacob, but I can see how that wouldn't be fair."  And he'll nod his head.  And I'll thank him for working through it and understanding why I had to make the decision.  And we're done. 

It was a great night. 

4 comments:

Tuckerjackk said...

TrendMiner
Blerb
Jenny brown
TrendMiner
TrendMiner

Tuckerjackk said...

TrendMiner
CouchSerfing
Visually
FourSquare
imdb
SoundCloud

Elon Brown said...

The McAfee.com/Activate Internet protection suite and antivirus software are the products designed by mcafee.com/activate for helping to secure home, business or school systems. You will need an identification key for the entire Mcafee.Com/Activat products brought online or from the retail store.

Bond walker said...

Domain reputation and IP address are the two things that decide the fate of every email you send to your customer. Thus, if you don’t have a good domain reputation and IP score, all the mails that you send might start landing in the spam box of your customers.