Tuesday, March 20, 2012

#76 - no room at the inn

Tuesday, March 20

Today I am thankful for leftovers and a microwave.  Too tired to cook - microwaved some Zatarain's rice-in-a-box that I made 2 nights ago, poured a cold glass of cranberry juice, and pulled some Oreos out of the bag.  Dinner.

Then a little car shopping.  We'll be far enough away from work that at $4/gallon for gas, a car that gets about 30mpg and is relatively old makes borderline economic sense.  If that 30mpg car happens to be a Miata, so much the better!  Found several for not much dinero last night and today on Craigslist.  It is the Google of the local buying/selling marketplace.  But of course, you know that.  You'r reading my blog.

Found out tonight on my way out the door at work that the apartment we had lined up is not set up to sleep 6.  I don't think I could have been clearer on my paperwork - there are 6 people on the form.  Everyone needs a place to sleep.  And there needs to be a place for Katrina's mom to sleep, too.  Or at least a couch I can take so they can share the big bed.  The woman assigned to help me does not appear to be overly concerned with our comfort.  She seems much more focused on finding a place that a desperate family will say yes to and getting out of her hair.  But she's nice about it.  I'll have a good chat with her tomorrow.

So that's back in play.  We'll see what we end up with.  Silly.

And I also talked to the assistant superintendent at the school district.  We need to have agreed on a price, and gotten to the contract stage of the purchase before we can put our kids in school there.  Proof of residency means we have to be committed to moving into the district.  At least I know what to do about it, and my path forward is clear.

Pic tonight is from the house we're trying to buy.  Old-fashioned, large enough, and comfortable.  And it has a built-in oven.  Good stuff.


No comments: