Friday, March 16, 2012

#71 - the house hunters find a target

Thursday, March 15

Today I am thankful for the ability (in so many ways) to buy a house.  The interest rates are great, house prices are low here (and raising significantly in my part of Oregon), there's a lot of inventory to choose from, the banks have started to give loans again.  So many things that pull together to make this work.

Katrina flew in from Oregon last night.  I couldn't post about that until she was home, and she's home now.  We spent the entire day today with our realtor.  We had already narrowed our list to 8 homes.  One home we found out was a short sale yesterday, and we found out another was a short sale with mold problems.  So we were down to 6.  Our last house to see was one of the top 2.  But we decided to go back to the other one in the top 2.  Our realtor went out to get sandwiches, and we stood around the kitchen island eating and deciding what to do.

In the end, we made an offer.  It's a little lower than asking, but reasonable (within 10%).  We're excited to get moving.  I'm a little concerned about it because I want to be done with the whole moving regime.  I want our stuff and us to be in our house and to get my routine back.  I want to help the kids with homework and be dragged to talent shows that end up being pretty cool and watch Libby and Jakers fight with light sabers.

We finished with the offer about 4, and made a couple stops around at recreation centers, and then had dinner. Then we sat in the same room on 2 different laptops and looked up information on the house and schools.  A good evening.

The pic tonight is from Brooklyn.  This is the street my brother lives on.  The trees will be very nice when they green up.


No comments: