Monday, June 3, 2013

#168 - Fire! - June 3, 2013

Cool thing from the last 24: our house did not burn down or sustain noticeable damage from a kitchen fire.  Dinner after church in a late year is always a challenge for us.  By the time we walk in the door, it's 4:45, and none of us eat lunch, so we're all very hungry.  Yesterday was Fast Sunday, as well, so some of us were more hungry than usual.

We had agreed before church that we'd grill burgers and hot dogs for dinner, so I walked in the door, changed my clothes, and got the grill going.  Dinner worked out fine, but afterward we still had some residual "I want fried tater tots" sentiment going around.  So Katrina put our pot of frying oil with a lid on the stove, set it on med-low, and came out to chat with me on the porch while it warmed up.  Eventually, she figured it must be hot, so she went in, took the lid off, and it smoked a LOT.  She put the lid on, the pot "poofed", the lid came off, and the oil lit.  That's when I walked in.  She put the lid back on, turned the burner off, and we opened every door and window in the main floor and basement.  Oil smoke is heavy - it'll make you cough even if you can't see it.  It was terrible.  So we sat outside for an hour while the smoke cleared, no problem.  This morning, the house smells fine, no damage.  One more close shave.

Exercise milestone: 1.5 miles yesterday on the treadmill, and upped my max weight by 10lbs.  Starting to find my zone while running, and feeling overall much more fit and stronger than a few weeks ago.

Jake and I spent a lot of time together camping this weekend.  Here we are, arriving at the fireside on Friday night.  Whaley Lake is behind us.

 Our little camp site.  Christian had his own tent.  Jake and I shared.  Jake claims I rolled over on him.  I claim he snuggled up next to me, so I didn't have any room.  I suppose we're both right.
 After breakfast Saturday morning, we raked leaves around the Nurse's station.  It started with just Jake and me, but this gentleman soon joined us, as well as 5 more men.  We got the entire place cleaned up in about an hour.
After the service was done, there were activities set up for the boys to do.  Christian went on a scavenger hunt, and won!  This is his team and the other team reporting back to the referee's desk.
After a day of camping, running around, and not snacking much, we were all hungry.  Off to Beekman Square Diner.  The boys really like it.  Christian finished that massive burger and his fries and ice cream.

No comments: