Thursday, January 19, 2012

365 #15 - Thursday, January 19

Today, once again, I am thankful for the last 20 years.  I won't repeat myself too much.

But today's interview was make-or-break as we discussed the opportunities I had, what I did with them, and how they shaped me.  Question after question was framed in a, "At this place, we have-and-such a situation.  Can you tell us about a similar situation you had at your last employer and how you dealt with it?"  In every case, I had done something relevant and could talk about it.

At the end, the guy who would be my co-manager walked me out the door, said some encouraging words, shook my hand, and we parted ways.  I learned a lot about the company.  The interview panel for 2 full hours was my co-manager, boss, her boss, and the sales guy.  The manager for Japanese tech support dropped in, the manager for the non-Japanese tech support dropped in, another manager dropped in.  They told me about their market position, corporate goals, recent strides, all sorts of things.

In the final tally, my recent study of their technology paid off.  I was asked about it, and was able to talk about it intelligently.  The Japanese stuff paid off when I spoke briefly with the Japanese manager.  Reading the company's annual report paid off.  Knowing their competitors paid off.  Every single thing I've worked on paid off.

I think.  They told me I was the final candidate, so the decision would be quick.  Here's to hoping for a call from HR tomorrow or Monday that brings good news.

No comments: