Friday, July 13, 2012

#37 - A career of talking - July 9, 2012

Today's schedule was all locked into work.  I slept until 7 or so, then I woke up and couldn't sleep any more.  I got up, got ready, and hit the office about 9.  I usually hit the office about 9 when I don't have to deal with production equipment, so the fact that I was at work until after midnight was frustrating for me.  I had intended to put in a normal 8 hours but be on a weird schedule.  Instead I was in at a regular time.

So I decided to work on some personal finance at the office.  It worked out all right.  I built a spreadsheet for our finances to help me track things and understand them better.  I haven't been in charge of our financial data for a dozen years, but that has changed, so now I get to make sense of it and see what our opportunities are.  Things will calm down once we are living in a home again, and I'll end up watching the data until the end of the year, and then I'll be able to start making changes. 

I sat at my desk almost all day, sorting through various issues, and trying to make progress on some financial analysis for work.  But I left the office without having made much progress.  I got home, and my hosts made a salad for dinner, and that was great.  I hung out for a bit, and then it was back to the fab for another round of meetings.

All I've done is talk.  Granted, it's important talk.  What's more important than finally getting to know your team, set goals, and find out what their goals are and what they need from you to move forward?  Not much if you're a manager worth your salt.  I intend to be worth a little more than my weight in Morton's. 

The UPS package with my request for the motorhome records arrived on Friday.  No FAX yet.  I'll have to call the DMV tomorrow.

Random pic for the day: this pic actually came from later in the week (I'm in catch up mode tonight) but I couldn't hold out any more.  This was just too good.  I think Jakers may think that 2 sets of glasses are funnier than 1 set.

But really, what message does this send our kids?  That glasses, big noses, and mustaches are funny.  What a terrible thing to burden them with!  Jakers makes a good Groucho, though.

No comments: