Saturday, July 7, 2012

#33 - Independence Day - July 4, 2012

My steed for the day.
Today I slept in as long as I could, caught up on the blog, and got ready for my ride today.  I checked maps, and it looked like my route would be 60-70 miles.  Hard to say exactly.  I mounted the pump and water bottle cage I bought on the bike, pumped up the tires, got my food together, put the bike in Gortja and left the house about 10:30.  I had to stop at the storage unit for some supplies, and then at the office to fill the water bottles.


The Dutchess County Rail Trail looks like this
for nearly 16 miles.


I finally hit the Hopewell Junction end of the rail trail at 11:20, and at 11:30 I rode away.  The maps show an uninterrupted trail for 20 miles, from a little town, over the Walkway Over the Hudson state park, and then continuing West.  The trail is broken in 2 significant spots that I had to find my way around.  The non-broken parts are very pretty.  But not very scenic, as the scenery doesn't change. 

The ride over the Hudson was no problem.  It's always pretty, but I'm used to it now.  I took my first break and watered up at the Highland stop.  There was a nice restroom there, running water.  I drained my bottles, rinsed off the sweat, refilled them, hit the restroom, and got back on the road.

The rail trail ends about 3 miles West of the Hudson, and you find yourself on Hwy 299.  It has an exceptionally wide shoulder for out here, and is a comfortable, flat ride.  It takes you over I-87 and right into the town of New Paltz.  There's a university campus there, and the downtown is a little of what you'd expect: reasonably prices eateries mixed with art shops and antique shops.  Very nice, very old, really cute.  I'd like to actually spend some time there sometime.

Just before the bridge over the Shawanagunk River, you take a left to hit the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail.  It's hard packed gravel.  Not terrible to ride on, but not nearly as nice as the pavement I was spoiled with before.  This is about 22 miles in.  Once you get on it, it's very consistent, but is more scenic than the East side.  Here are a few pictures from the trail.
Most of the trail looks like this around 12:30 on a summer day.

With the occasional bridge over a creek or road.

What can you say?  Looking West from the trail.
Those are the Shawanagunk Mountains.

You pass through some nice farms and orchards along the way as well.
I got to my expected destination, a little town called Gardiner, about 2:00.  Pretty good time.  I was happy with it.  I was also tired, and ready to turn around.  The town was mostly shut down for the 4th of July, so I fished my lunch out of my back pocket (literally).  Apricots, a Clif bar, water, and watered-down Kool Aid.  It was a little lighter than I like to go for a ride like this one, but I was limited with storage space.  My jersey had 1 pocket for water, 1 for ID and equipment, and 1 for food.  I checked in with Katrina, and then noticed that a cute store across the street was open.  When I had finished, I went inside, looked around, and filled my water bottles. 


Then it was time to get back on the road.  The trail back looked exactly the same as the trail coming.  I had to consult the map less, and it seemed I was back in New Paltz in no time at all.  The ride down 299 was easy, and I was over the Hudson again around 4, which was my goal when I had started out the morning.  The Walkway is evidently a great place to watch fireworks.  They sell tickets to it, though, and the gates were going to close to people like me at 5:30.  I made it with plenty of time.  Because there is no dirt under it to keep it cool, and no shade at all, the deck gets pretty hot.

By this time in the ride, I know I'm about 15 miles to go, and I'm ready.  I had refilled water again at Highland, but wishing I had drunk a bit more there.  I'm tired, strarting to get a little sore, and would love to take a long break in the shade.  But it's 90 degrees out, so even a break won't be very comforting.  I'm very glad now that I didn't go for a longer ride today.  Without a formal lunch in between, a longer ride woud have been more difficult. 

As a warning to cyclists, everywhere, these signs are posted about every half mile along the trail.  It seems that alert pedestrians pass slowly.  Sleepy pedestrians must pass quickly.  No pedestrians passed me, however, so I didn't experience either of those things.

With 10 miles to go, I ran completely out of gas.  I had nothing but straight pathway in front of me, and I had water and food at the end.  So I mixed up another bottle of Kool-Aid, drained my last water, and started cranking pedals. 

At times like this, I'm glad I've bonked before.  I know exactly how it feels to have low blood sugar during an exercise like this.  The Kool-Aid and water gave my rational mind some peace, and I rode.  Slowly but steadily, seeing the miles chug.  At 6 miles to go, I could feel the Kool-Aid had kicked in, and I had energy in my tired legs.  It lasted for 20 minutes or so, and I slogged out the last 2 miles, knowing it was only a few more minutes to go.

In the end, it was a good ride.  Enjoyable, very taxing, very educational.  Most of the things a ride on a free day like today should be.

I drove home, rinsed my head, changed clothes, and went out to a buffet to eat.  I ate a lot.  It was good. 

Then I went home again, spent some time chatting with people, and then I went to my room and slept.  I heard some fireworks, but it is illegal to buy, possess, or sell fireworks at all in New York, so the neighborhoods are much quieter than in Oregon.  Rather nice, actually.

I enjoyed my Independence Day immensely.  Independent.  And working hard.

No comments: