Wednesday, July 4, 2012

#32 - Are we there yet? - July 3, 2012

Today was another productive but shorter day at work.  Nothing special really, except that there was so little going on.  I worked on scheduling.  And I got an email back from the lender.  They needed a "transfer of title" for the motorhome.

Argh.  I had already given them a billl of sale, an insurance card, and a cancelled check showing the motorhome sale transaction.  All this was not enough.  I asked 2 weeks ago what exact paperwork they needed.  The person handling the transaction is completely incompetent.  My loan officer is great, and I think the underwriter is ok, too.  But the person gathering information and being the go-between is a poor communicator and very inefficient. 

So I went to the Oregon DMV web site.  It was pretty much down or broken, depending on which page you needed.  I had no luck at all finding what I needed to find.  Not even a phone number to call.  Nothing.  Next was a Google search for Oregon DMV phone, which gave me a number.  I called it, and a very pleasant woman answered the phone.  I explained my situation, she gave me some information, then went to ask someone else about a certain detail or another certain detail.  She explained the entire process very simply and clearly, gave me the number of the form, and was worried that the fee I might have to pay would be too high. 

I read back the record ordering process as she had explained it to me, assured her that the $22.50 fee was minor in my quest to buy a house, and thanked her for being so helpful.  It was my very first pleasant interaction at a DMV in 22 years of driving.  I downloaded the form (the web site was down, but a Google search let me get past the broken parts to download it), filled it out, and went off to get send it before the holiday.  Shop Rite does not do money orders (I don't have checks with me), so I had to drive to Walmart next.  That was pretty nice, as well.  I got the money order and headed to the UPS store.  I got the form and money order sent 2nd day.  Total cost to get a single piece of paper: $52 + gas.  But it's done.

I also got our mail.  It had been a while and the box was stuffed.  I need to go down there more often. 

So I think that's the last piece of financial stuff they need from us.  Still waiting for the underwriter to confirm the appraisal, and I haven't heard back yet on another deposit they needed to document.  I called my attorney's office to follow up on the survey and title.  That is starting move, finally. 

I also stopped by the house yesterday.  The garage is filled with stuff, and the house is mostly empty. 

After work, I had to go shopping.  I plan a long bike ride tomorrow, but Tim's bike is not set up for it.  So I bought a frame pump, a water bottle cage, a spare water bottle, some bananas, a spare tube and tire levers, and came home to an empty house.  I cooked up some dinner - Caribbean rice, to which I added hot Italian suasage, fried bananas, and chopped apricots.  It was excellent.  Except for the apricots.  They really were incongruous with the rest of the subdued flavors in the meal. 

Also, in the mail: Aria's report card.  She earned high honor roll, which is the equivalant of a 3.5/3.75 GPA.  Her art teacher says she should pursue further enrichment.  My daughter has talent as a visual artist!  The first ever in my family. 

I don't know why Blogger rotated these pictures, but they are both supposed to be 90 deg counterclockwise from how they posted.   I checked the original files.



No comments: