Monday, April 30, 2012

#92 - Fun in the forest at Fahnestock

Monday, April 30

Today I am thankful for an uncle and aunt who love their nieces and nephews.

On Saturday evening I got a call from my brother.  He and his wife had some time and were thinking of coming up to see us.  Were we free?  We had some things on Sunday morning, of course, but the afternoon looked free. 

So on Sunday after church we went down to Riverside Park in Beacon for half an hour to wait for the train.  We piled in the van and went to our new almost-house and played and walked around.  Then we drove a few minutes away to Fahnestock state park.  I've been there before, and this time the beach was closed again.  But the campground across the street was open.  We drove in, parked in an open spot near the restrooms, and explored.  The kids headed straight down the hill to a marshy area (there are a lot of those here - the solid rocky bottom prevents water drainage from low areas).  In the first pic, you can see Christian and Libby.  But you have to look closely.  Christian is an easy find - Libby is a little spot of pink from her pants, almost completely hidden by the trees.



When Christian and Libby were exploring back there, Christian's shoes got wet.  Libby stepped boot-deep in muck.  She was embarrassed at first, then she was laughing about it: "I stepped in the mud and I got fish in my shoes!"  The extra legs there belong to my brother.  We dropped him and Aki off at the station just before 6, I dropped the family off at the hotel, and I went to choir practice.  We have stake conference next week, and this was the 2nd of 2 practices.  I'd missed the first one. 

No comments: