Saturday, January 28, 2012

365 #20 - Tuesday January 24

Today is not the first time I've been thankful for my career counselor.  As part of Nikon's separation package, I was provided with career counseling.  She sat beside me as I wrote my resume, answered my questions via email on the weekends, gave me hours of her time as I was navigating through 2 parallel sets of interviews.  And finally, this morning, we talked about a counter offer.

Once we were set on the approach for the counter offer, I was able to call the new company.  But I had to leave a voice mail.  A few hours later, HR called me back.  We discussed a counter offer.  She was not hopeful.  But I simply could not take their original offer.

I am less hopeful about this job tonight than I ever have been during this process.  The conversation was a bit of a downer.  I know I'm the right guy for the job, and they know I'm the right guy for the job.  It's just a matter of terms - can we agree on a set of terms that meets both of our needs?   We were only about 10% apart to start with.

I also talked with the recruiter I've been working with on the different, local job.  He read me an email from the manager, which read "he's a quality candidate, and we'd like to make him an offer, but it will take us a couple weeks to prepare an offer for him.  If the other position falls through, we'd be excited to bring him on."

So much for the competing offers.  That was not going to happen.  So, once again, our prayer is simply that if we are not supposed to move to NY, that the company won't come back with a good enough offer.  On the cusp.

No comments: