Thursday, January 19, 2012

365 #14 - Wednesday, January 18

I'm thankful for a great opportunity today.  The flight from PDX to Dulles was uneventful, the flight from there to LaGuardia likewise uneventful and very short.  It was easy to get from Dulles to the rental car place.  And the drive at 9pm out of the city was easy, too.  I got to the hotel in 90 minutes, just like Google told me I would.

So many things out of the way.  I have only a few more pages of study to do in the morning.  And then this entire opportunity rolls out - the interview, its aftermath.  Tomorrow is going to be one of the most fateful days of my family's life if it means we take a job out here.

As a kid, I never imagined these kinds of things happening - leaving a job, a company flying me somewhere to interview for a job.  Those kinds of things happened on TV - they were Huxtable or Seaver lifestyles, not mine.    And where am I?  Living the American dream.

It is a steady progression, which I find very intriguing.  The Bible talks about the sins of the parents being visited upon the heads of the children.  In this case, the goodness of the parents enriches the lives of their children.  My parents both attended college. Neither finished a 4 year degree.  Both had good, solid, respectable jobs.  Both worked hard.  My generation are all college grads - a BS, MBA, and PhD.  All of us have jobs and careers that our parents never really thought of.  Not as in, "I could do that, but it's out of reach."  More like, "I don't even know how a person would go about trying to get a job like that one.  I can't even consider it."  I feel very blessed, and thankful to parents who instilled this drive in all of us without our knowing it.  And then enabled us to take these paths to where we are.

Who your parents are, and how they are, can make or break your entire life.  As a parent, that means I have to take my responsibility extremely seriously.

No comments: