Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February 18, 2014 - Reflections on Romans 1-3

I get the privilege every so often of teaching the gospel to people not of my faith with our local missionaries.  A few months ago, I met a couple of young men from a different church and we started discussing the gospel.  I learn probably more from them than they learn from us, and their view of the scriptures is very different from mine.  I say that because one of them is engaged in pastoral studies at a local college.

They had read the Book of Mormon, and asked that we study Romans as just the text itself, to take off our "Mormon glasses" and see it fresh.  So I did.  I read it as a member of the congregation in Rome, having maybe only one or two of the Gospels to rely on.  The text is very different that way.  Very refreshing.

As I started to read, I took notes.  So here they are, with some reflections.
Ch1
Hey all you saints in Rome!  Christ is the son of God, and I wish I could visit you.  Sorry it hasn't worked out yet.
vs 16: Gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation very every one that believeth
vs 17: the just shall live by faith
vs 18-31: this long section says to me that people who are unrighteous become homosexuals, reprobates, etc.  It is ambiguously written in English, and I'm curious if there's a consensus on what it means.  I suspect there isn't.
vs 32: homosexuals worthy of death
In sum: everyone who believes can be saved.  And I'm very relieved that I belong to the church of Jesus Christ and not the church of Paul.

Ch2
vs1-2: any person who judges is a hypocrite, but God judges righteously.
vs 3-10: we will be judged by deeds, the righteous rewarded, evil punished.
vs 11: God is no respecter of persons
vs 12: those who sin without the law are not accountable to the law.  This is where I started to understand that Paul is writing to the Jews in the congregation.
vs 13: doers of the word are justified.
vs 14-15: those who obey the law without knowing it are rewarded
vs 17-28: a Jew who breaks his covenant is in worse shape than a Gentile who is righteous.
vs 29: circumcision of the heart.  True conversion is not a change to your body, but a change to your heart.

Ch3
vs 1-2: the Jews had prophets.  How awesome!
vs 4: when man and God conflict, trust God.
vs 5-10: Jews and Gentiles both sinful, references Psalms 14:1 and 53:1
vs 10-18: this is a bit of hyperbole.  Strict Biblical literalists don't let its authors engage in hyperbole, exaggeration, or sarcasm. Such a practice denies them of their humanity. I think they would be shocked and appalled to find their words taken so precisely. As a Christian in Rome of Jewish heritage, I understand the point Paul is trying to make here.  He makes it forcefully on purpose, and I get it.
vs 19: the law applies to those who have it (and by inference, not to those who don't)
vs 20-21: no justification by the law.  Because, indeed, who of us has lived perfectly according to the law?  Nobody. The law of justice says that we are all condemned.
vs 24-27: Jesus justifies those that believe in him.
vs 28: faith justifies without deeds.  This directly contradicts an earlier section about being judged by our deeds. What should I be worried about? Faith or deeds? 21st century Tom recognizes a piece of cognitive dissonance here.  Christians around the world would do well to deal with the cognitive dissonances in our belief systems.  Denying them only gives fuel to those who do not share our faith.  I'm a happy Christian, and I recognize there are happy Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Atheists, and Agnostics.  Most of us (I'll exclude some Atheists) have cognitive dissonance in our belief systems.  Denying them to people who don't share your faith makes you look weaker, not stronger.
vs 29-30: there is only one God for both Jew and Gentile.
vs 31: Jewish law is not obliterated by the gospel, but strengthened by it.

So there are chapters 1-3 in a couple nutshells.  I really enjoy this method of study - not just reading the scripture, but reading it as its original intended audience.  It's fun.


No comments: