Sunday, February 16, 2014

February 16, 2014 - A Top 10 Snow Event

We got a foot of snow a little over a week ago.  Everything shut down for a day, then everything was back to normal.  On Thursday this week (3 days ago) we got another foot.  I hit the driveway with the snowblower 3 times that day.  When I went to bed, everything was clear.  I woke up to 6 more inches on Friday morning.  4 more hours of clearing snow, and we were clear again.  The landscape changes dramatically with 2 feet of snow on top of it.  There are no more leaves, no fallen branches.  Even the smaller shrubs are buried.

The dump we got is classified as a "Top 10 Snow Event" - one of the largest recorded snowfalls in the region.  Locals have told me this kind of thing hasn't happened in 30 years.

So here's a large bunch of photos - some try to capture the "Holy cow, there's a lot of snow!" wonder of it, some are "So that's how you deal with a lot of snow", and some are "That is really beautiful".

Woke up with no water pressure on Thursday morning, and
knew my snowblower repair wouldn't last.  So I spent 30 minutes
at Home Depot.  This is my car after 30 minutes.

Snow falling hard and fast Thursday, about noon.

This is I-84.  

Friday morning, I opened the garage door and took this
shot from ground level.  Close to a foot there.  Look in the
background, you can see a mound.  If you look at the mound, you
can see some twigs sticking up out of it.  Those are
from a 6' high shrub.  The same shrub shows up the 2nd
picture in today's post.

Hidden picture time, kids!  Can you spot the Yukon XL, the largest passenger vehicle ever mass-produced
for a non-commercial market?  Good!  Can you spot the sedan?  Great!  Now, can you spot the 11 year-old boy digging a tunnel?  

It's just lovely.  And the canyon is my snowblower's first pass.

Who tagged my house???!?!!!!??!?  Oh yeah.  Me.

Yeah.  'Nuff said.

Driveway is done as the sun comes out and temps warm to 34 degrees.  It was above freezing most of the day on Friday.

Pretty, pretty, pretty.  

No comments: