Sunday, September 30, 2012

#116 – Aria Baby Sits for Reals - September 27, 2012


Thursday.

I got home tonight just in time for Katrina to leave to see a friend at the hospital.  She just gave birth to a huge baby (over 10 lbs) via caesarian.  A friend came to pick her up, and left her 3-month old baby boy with Aria. 

This was Aria’s first time taking care of a baby.  She fell in love instantly, and hardly left him alone for a moment.  She held him, she laid him on a bed of blankets in the living room, she made faces at him, she was silly.  In 20 minutes, she was telling me what he liked, and that I should be silly with him, because he likes that.  She was adorable, my baby taking care of a baby.  She hadn’t had dinner yet, but she fed him first.  Then she didn’t know what to do with him while she ate.  I offered to hold him for a while.  So I got the little guy for 20 minutes or so.  He’s an easy baby as far as I could tell. 

I hung out with Aria.  I suppose I can put in a few more details that I omitted earlier in the week.  The first is that my mom is moving more strongly toward retirement.  It will take a bit yet, but her days of procrastinating this time are over.  I could not be more excited for her.  She and dad will both be retired, still able to get around and enjoy their golden years.  They’ll be able to stay with us and not have to worry about vacation time.  This is probably the biggest news of the week.

Fall is here in earnest – not just for temperatures, but the leaves are turning.  I have a specific rock I stand on, looking over at the pool area.  I intend to get a shot every day at about the same time to document the change.
 
I was beat – I’ve been a little ill all week, and had late nights and early mornings.  So around 7:15 it seemed late to me.  I didn’t even look at the clock.  I told the kids it was bed time.  To their credit, they brushed their teeth and got ready for bed.  They didn’t even ask what time it was.  At 7:45, I was in bed, going to sleep.  And the kids (including the baby) were asleep.  Except Aria, who stayed up.

I didn’t even hear Katrina come home.

No comments: