Sunday, September 23, 2012

#111 –A day for scouting and Oregon wins! - September 22, 2012


Saturday.
Woke up not many hours after going to sleep.  Thank goodness for a good sleeping pad to make sleeping in a tent possible!

I slept until I had to wake up.  Christian and our new scout were talking in the next tent over, sunlight poured through the trees, and it was 7:30.  So I meandered over to the substantial campfire.  I don’t do well with milk, so I skipped our breakfast of Honey Nut Cheerios and Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but I watched the other scouts cook up hash browns.  Then I took care of my tent and things, and sat down to finish “Darth Paper Strikes Back”, the 2nd book in the Origami Yoda series.  I had read 90 pages yesterday, and I figured today I would finish.

We started the orienteering activity at 9.  The scouts broke into groups of 3, each had a compass.  One of the other leaders had hidden cans around the camp and marked their locations on a map.  Each can location had a letter or number on the can, and directions to follow.  The group was to mark their map with the instructions from the can to prove they were there.  Then it was off.  The groups split quickly, fanning over the campground.

I was asked to head to the water and supervise the canoes, so I took my book and headed down there.  One of the cans was on the island, so they had to use canoes to finish the course. 

At the same time, there was a daddy-daughter campout from Westchester.  We helped them get their canoes in the water as well.  By 11, the hunt was over.  Christian had decided he wanted to participate, and his group came in second by a slim margin.  The last group was 20 minutes late, and hadn’t done 30% of the course.  We ate lunch of ham and cheese sandwiches,  cleaned up the rest of the camp, and left.

Never before have we had the TV on during dinner.  This
was the exciting conclusion to OSU's beat-down of UCLA.

Aria can never stop finding ways to celebrate the O.  tonight,
she melted a ring of cheese on her baked potato.  Then
she baked a lemon cake and frosted it with green frosting.
Go Ducks!
I took a nap when we got home, then made dinner and did some laundry.  While checking the news, I saw that the Beavers were playing No 19 UCLA.  And it was on TV!  And we have cable!  So I turned on the game and we rooted for the Beavs.  They beat UCLA more than the score says, and ended up winning by a touchdown.  I posted on Tim’s Facebook page when the Beavs were 2 TDs ahead.  His response?  “Shaddap.” 

Then some more laundry and blogging, and then the Ducks took on Arizona in the PAC12 opener.  The first half was a defensive show, the score 13-0 at halftime.  Oregon broke apart Arizona’s offense in the 3rd quarter.  Arizona threw 3 interceptions in the last 21 minutes of the game, 2 of them went for touchdowns.  In the end, Number 3 Oregon beat No 20 Arizona 49-0.

The game ended at 2am.

No comments: