Friday, September 21, 2012

#109 – Revenge is a dish best served on a football field in South Carolina - September 20, 2012


Woke up this morning and went outside.  It was a little chilly – the first time I’ve been chilly outside here in 5 months, I think.  The summer is relentless.  Weird to have the AC not kick on much any more, enough so that the house feels a little stagnant sometimes.  And then I noticed that I could see my breath.  That has also been a while.

That cloudy fuzzy thing in the middle of the picture
 is my condensed breath.  The trees are part of our property.
I took the kids to the bus stop, and then headed in to work.  I was expecting a slow day, a day where I could spend a few hours staring at numbers and making graphs.  Instead I walked into the office, found 3 emails that required immediate attention, and that took me to lunch.  Then I had meetings from 1-2:30, then 1 hour of working on something else that came up today, and then another meeting from 4-5.

The evening was yet another packed one.  Katrina made shepherd’s pie (with fresh NY shepherds), and I worked the kids through their homework.  After dinner I filled the garbage can with sheetrock from the old pantry walls.  It didn’t take as long as I thought it would, and it filled the garbage can more quickly than I thought it would.  Then I sat down to watch the Giants. 

Please understand – I have never before in my life watch an NFL game on my TV.  Not once.  I saw a game on the hotel TV when I first got here, but I’m generally not a sports TV watcher.  One of the things I’m trying to do here (in this house) is to do more things that more people participate in.  Libby and Jakers weren’t interested in the game, but Christian was.  So he came over to the living room and watched with me for a bit.  Then he found a book on wolves and read that while the game played on.  Aria went to bed.  Katrina finished cleaning up the kitchen, and came to join me for a bit.  Christian went to bed.  Katrina went to bed.  And then the game ended.  36-7, Giants beat the Panthers, and I got to see a team I care about beat Cam Newton.  Retribution for the Ducks-Auburn national title game 2 years ago when Cam’s team beat the Ducks.  The Giants look great this year.  They dominated the Panthers from the beginning to the end.

So this fall we’ll watch some football – the Ducks are on again Saturday night on ESPN, the Giants games we’ll catch every once in a while when it works with our schedule.  And then we’ll switch to the NBA and watch some Knicks.  I don’t expect them to be great, and I’m disappointed they lost Jeremy Lin, but they’re my team, I think.  

No comments: