Monday, July 21, 2008

Who doesn't love little kids?

The Mormon church is a church of laity - not even the bishop is paid a dime for his service. And almost everyone who comes regularly has a calling - Mormon jargon for a service that the congregational member does. In the past, I've been a Cub Scout leader, teenage Sunday School teacher, music leader for the Primary (kid church), and a missionary.

Nowadays, my calling is to serve in the nursery, which is the Primary for kids aged 18 months to 3 years old. We get the kids for 2 hours each week while their parents go to Sunday school and other meetings. We sing songs, dance around, talk about our families, being thankful, get snack, play with toys, and do crafts. I love it. My kids are the oldest bunch, all of them turn 3 during 2008. They're learning to express themselves, to share, to throw balls, color, count, potty train, drink out of cups, and all that other fun stuff. My prep for each session is pretty minimal - a few hours during the week will get any crafts I need to prepare ready and any lesson materials I need.

The kids are a blast - full of happy energy, and they never mean to hurt anyone else. They want to be tickled, play ball with you, blow bubbles, and tell you how much they love their mommies. I walk out of there each week physically drained and mentally charged. I absolutely love it.

So I was REALLY surprised when I was talking with someone from the Primary leadership yesterday. I was asking her about filling the teacher spot for the middle class (we have 3 classes), and she said that they haven't been able to find anyone both willing and able to do it.

WHAT??? I can understand not asking a mom with little kids to serve. And I can totally understand her turning it down if asked. But what dad would turn down the chance? How could a person not want to get hugged by little arms, comfort a crying child, give a few more goldfish when they hear "Can I have more fishies pweese?" The children are full of love; they have more than enough to give. Some attention and love back is all they ask. It's such an easy exchange. I really just don't get it. Can anyone else explain that to me?

No comments: