Wednesday, July 30, 2008

On choosing a Presidential candidate

I am an Obama man. Have been since January when Edwards dropped out. I guess I'm too much of a peacenik to be gung-ho for Hillary; it was the only issue I really disagreed with in her voting record and her rhetoric.

Having said that I'm an Obama man, I suppose I need to have some reasons. First, I like the fact that Obama did not have a famous spouse, rich or infulential parents, or any other thing that got him to where he is. He was smart, worked hard, and used the opportunity that America affords to everyone. Not that everyone can be a senator - if I am dumb as a rock (a hot topic of debate around the dinner table) then I don't want to be a senator or President. And I shouldn't be. But I like the fact that Obama earned his place on the stage through talent and hard work.

Secondly, I agree with his politics most of the time. More than specific policies, I like the tone of his policies. I like where he comes from and how he approaches issues. I see a lot of my own viewpoints in how he explains himself. Does that make me a narcissist? Or have I just fallen under the spell? I don't know. I may disagree with what he chooses to do, but I can usually understand the reason he does it.

Thirdly, he is by all accounts a great organizer. His campaign does not have constant leaks, defections, shakeups. His grassroots organizations are the best we've see in a long time. He continues to control the narrative by being in charge - his European trip followed immediately by an economics summit with a whole bunch of busy businesspeople shows organizational ability. We sorely need that as we try to get an out-of-control federal government back to accountability.

Fourthly, given that it's time for the conventions, he's by far the better candidate.

Obama's negatives? He's got a skimpy resume. He voted for FISA. He's got a LOT of hope and seems missing some wonkish rhetoric.

I am not for McCain. If I had been able to vote for him in 2000, I would have. I liked his energy on the trail, moderate positions, and wanted a break from the Clinton scandals. I guessed that Al might have brought too many hangers-on with him. John is not the same guy he was then.

Someone asked McCain why he was campaigning so hard for Bush in 2004 after the way Bush treated him in 2000. Where was the straight talker? McCain's answer was that the straight talker lost. That theme, more than any, illuminates McCain's campaign in this election. In one location, he's for immigration reform "first priority". In the next location the next day, he's about "national security, first priority". I don't see these as diametrically opposed, but his audiences do.

I also find it very hard to be "for" someone who seems to only be "against" everything his opponent is "for". McCain does not have a realistic positive vision for America that I have seen. I need that in the leader of the free world.

No comments: