Monday, September 15, 2008

Today's Disappointment...or not

I have been agressively pursuing an expat assignment in Japan for the past few months.  I passed the interview, and was engaged with our executives to figure out a package that would work.  In the end, we couldn't make it work.
I didn't ask for much in the way of money, but I did ask for an exception to policy.  In this case, the money was not a problem, but the project wasn't high enough of a priority to bend the policy rules.
So, let me say it: "ARGGHHH!!!"  Now that's over.
So what's next?  I retain my old job (not a bad one), and the fact that my VP went to bat for me feels pretty good.  On the other hand, I really really really want to contribute to my company in a big way, and my current position makes that almost impossible.  It also makes the last 4 years of business school irrelevant.  My freshly minted MBA is already gathering dust.  
So what's next?  Firstly, I'm going to be the single best supervisor at NPI.  Period.  Secondly, I'm going to close out the projects I have on my plate.  Thirdly, I'm going to polish my resume and see what else is out there.  Maybe there's a Portland company that needs a Japanese-speaking MBA grad with 10 years experience in service operations.   Fourthly, I'm going to go home at a decent hour, spend time with my family, and work on the house.  Goodness knows those things all need to happen.
Happy living!

No comments: