Sunday, April 20, 2014

April 20, 2014 - A Wonderful Easter

Happy Easter!

Today was a special day in our family's church life.  Today was the day that Christian became a deacon in the Aaronic priesthood.  This is a key step to manhood - starting to serve in the priesthood sets a pattern for a man's life. At 12 years old, a young man now gets more chances to serve others, and more opportunities to learn new skills and see where he will be of value in the world.  And I got to ordain him.

It was a full day for me during services today.  I directed the choir for a rendition of "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth".  They were fantastic, as always.  I'm very blessed to have such a wonderful group of people to work with.  Then I got to sing as part of a men's quartet.  We sang "That Easter Morn", an arrangement by a friend of mine in Oregon.  Then I got to sit back for a while and listen to a wonderful talk by our ward's seminary teacher.

Then it was Sunday School hour, and I got to take 6 12-year-olds from midway through Matthew 26 to the end of Matthew 28.  We had a really great discussion - I love to take these kids through the scriptures.  I hadn't really processed the fear coursing through Peter as he sat on the steps and denied Jesus.  He must have been terrified.

After Sunday school, we moved into the 3rd hour, where the men and women split for instruction.  The men ages 12 and up meet briefly together, and then split out by age group.  I went with Christian to his group, and we gathered my parents and Katrina's parents, and Aria.  Christian sat in a chair, and we laid our hands on his head, conferred the priesthood on him, and then ordained him to the office of deacon.  Hugs all around, and then we all went back to our regular classes.  I walked into my class and found them just sitting around.

"What are you waiting for?" I asked.
"You," they replied.

You see, I'm the 1st counselor in the Elder's Quorum.  The president wasn't there, and the guy who usually teaches wasn't around either, so I got to lead the discussion.  We had a really good discussion about home teaching - what we want from our home teachers, the value of the connection.  And then it was over.

So it was a busy day; a lovely Easter Sunday.  The sun is out, it's 65 degrees, the flowers are up, and Easter dinner is in the oven.  I'll have to write another post about my thoughts about the events of this day a few millennia ago.  Not today, but soon, while they're still fresh.

No comments: