Saturday, January 18, 2014

Jan 17, 2014 - The cast list is up!

Aria had call-backs for The Little Mermaid on Thursday.  After I was home from work, she told me that there were 4 girls being considered for Ariel, and those who didn't get Ariel would be her sisters.  So she was very pleased to know after call-backs that at the very least she'd have a good role.  But she was confident in her performance, thought it was likely she'd get Ariel.

The cast list was posted during 1st period on Friday, which was a half day.  I was at work.  No phone calls, no FB posts, no emails. Nothing.  Noon.  1pm.  2pm.  Finally, I called Ari's friend Maggie.  I was happy to learn that Maggie got Scuttle (the Seagull).  And then I was able to talk to Aria, and she told me that she did get the part.  My girl got a lead role, and all on her own.

She has been very fortunate in many ways - she's made it into everything she has auditioned for, unheard of for any girls I knew growing up.  And she's done some good stuff.  Not a lot, but some.  She has worked very hard at her school for over a year in choir, and built a solid reputation with the choir director, and of course she nailed her solo at the concert.  Hard work, talent, and encouragement.  And she got it done.

I couldn't be prouder of her.  I have a lot of pride in her academic achievements, but I feel for some reason, that they are more attainable for more people.  An artistic achievement like this one is something she'll never forget: the one person cast as Ariel for the show.  The lead role.  She may never get another.  I have never had the lead in my career.  And I'm proud of her for trying again, and so very glad she'll be working with this director, who is an excellent acting director.  It will be such a good experience for her.

So I finished work, came home, ate, etc.  Finally I went to pick her up.  We were all on media blackout until she called her grandparents.  Once that was done, we posted away.  This is her "I got the part!" face.  I've never seen her so happy, it was really a special night to share as a family.

And now I hope we have the same kinds of experiences with the other kids.  They are all just as special and wonderful as Aria is.  We're hoping she doesn't cast too long of a shadow.

No comments: