Saturday, July 13, 2013

#191 - An extra day (kinda) off work - July 10, 2013

Cool thing from the last 24: my comanager gave me the day off.

This is an odd thing, considering that I went to the office at 5am anyway, and left at 4pm.  My work responsibilities are higher on Mon-Tue-Wed then Thu-Fri, and his are higher Wed-Thu-Fri and lesser Mon-Tue.  Except when one of us is on vacation.  In that case, we cover for each other.

I was on vacation on Monday, and responsibilities were due to shift on Wednesday anyway, so he kept the helm for an extra day.  That let me spend nearly my whole day on Tuesday to prepare a presentation for the customer that was due on Thursday.  It was a significant stress relief.

This qualifies as a "cool thing" because my comanager and I get along really well.  We're not friends outside of work, but we're very much in sync at work, to a degree that is very uncommon, I think.  We're hitting on all cylinders now.  It's really fun to collaborate and move the operation forward.  I think for a while that he felt I was pushing and that I was stepping on his toes.  At some point, maybe he realized that I just wanted to make the operation better.  And since then, life has been better.

Also, on Tuesday, I started to keep a log of activities.  Each significant thing I do during my day, I write down in a notebook.  At the end of the day, I mark each task as a new action required for me, a regular task, or a one-off task.  We'll see what patterns show up, and how my time gets split.

After work, I met my brother for a training run.  We met at his place, and drove to a trail by the river to run.  It ended up as a 5K run, and we ran nearly all of it at a 12-minute pace.  He told me some news about a family member that I didn't know, and we commiserated a bit.  It was a good, meaningful time for me.

No comments: