Monday, July 8, 2013

#183 - Glad that day is over...breathe...do it again tomorrow - July 2, 2013

Cool thing from the last 24 hrs: I got up and went to work.  My workdays often start at 5am, and yesterday was one of them.  Then there were meetings and a business dinner, and I got home after a day with no breaks at 9pm.  Today is another 5am start, with an expected 7pm finish.

The start of the day was normal/nice - my first day back from a week of vacation.  I had caught up on email on Saturday and there were few lingering issues.  I was able to get through them in good time.  I am so grateful that my team at work is solid.  There was stuff to do, but nothing to fix.  I love being able to walk away and know that our house will be in order when I get back.  Also very nice to see that my team can deal with another manager without trouble.

So by mid-morning I was at work on some presentation materials.  There had been an incident while I was out, but it was not caused by us.  Nevertheless, it generated a ton of email traffic and meetings and a visit from some executive management to our site this week.

One of the benefits of having your "stuff" stogether at work is that when an executive gets the impression from someone that things are not going well in the area you are responsible for, you can compile a bunch of data on things you're working on, and show them very clearly that they're wrong.  So that is what we (my comanager, manager, and I) worked on today.  

And then we had dinner at a local grill.  It's a good time.  I'm still new here, and I don't know the old faces and names that have come and gone, and I have no experience with alcohol, and I'm not a natural conversation leader in groups, so I'm effectively left out of 80% of the conversation at these dinners.  But the people are nice, the food was good, and I needed to do it.  It was nice to walk in the door, say hello to the family (literally, "hello, I'm going to bed") and go to sleep.  I was drained.

Then I had to sleep.

No comments: