Thursday, June 27, 2013

#180 - The simple life - June 26, 2013


Cool thing from the last 24: My wife is gone to girls camp.  So is Aria.  I love them both dearly.  And when they're gone for a few days, I have to admit, I don't miss them.  I'd miss them if they're gone for longer, mind you, but for a few days, it's a very simple life I can lead.

We got the older ladies out of the house at 9 to go to girls camp.  I then took stock.  I had no food in the house (nearly true), dirty clothes to deal with, needed to cook for the 4 of us for the next 4-5 days, and my legs were really tired from the hike on Monday.  I got some laundry and dishes moving and left the kids to do the grocery shopping.  3 hours later, we were moving forward.

I cooked tuna noodle casserole, spaghetti, waffles, pancakes, and extra bacon (for BLTs).  The kids had chosen these meals.  My plan was to cook them all at once and then not cook again for 3-4 days.   Once I was done, I told the kids what the dinner food was and where it was, and they were all quite happy.  I started on my long list of things to accomplish.  I had a significant amount of cleaning on my list, some car maintenance, pool maintenance, and a couple other miscellaneous projects.

My goal for this time period was simple: accomplish much and make time to relax and play.  I started 4 projects immediately.  And I made time to play in the pool with the kids after they cleaned up all the junk they had left outside for the last few months.  In the evening, we watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Jake made a city of houses of cards.  They are
so sticky with jam and other 7 year-old grime
that he could probably pass an earthquake inspection.

It was, in many ways, a perfect day.  And I was beat.  And I went to bed.

No comments: