Monday, September 24, 2012

#112 - Mission Accomplished! - September 23, 2012


Sunday.

Hm.  Upon waking, it appeared that 4 hrs of sleep was not going to help my piano playing.  I had done several loads of laundry over the evening, and pushed another one through this morning.  I played through the primary program, and was not impressed with myself.  On the one hand, “uh-oh”.  On the other, there’s the old theater hand in me saying, “A good performance requires a terrible dress rehearsal.”
 
The kids were ready early.  Early enough that Aria was sitting on the couch, asking why I got them up so early.  It is exactly so that we are sitting on the couch wondering why we are up so early as opposed to running around trying to figure things out.  I can’t wait for Jan, and the later church schedule.  The early church schedule is nice for planning the day – you get up, get out, come home, eat lunch and you can relax.  The late church schedule is much better for late Saturday nights, or being a little unprepared for Sunday.
Anyway, the kids did a great job.  

In an effort to swell the number of kids, this ward has all kids who turned 12 this year stay in the program.  So Aria should have been up there.  But the ward didn’t recognize that.  Since Aria was 12 when we moved here, she has been in the Sunday school class for 12 years-olds, and Young Women’s.  The same thing happened to me when we moved to Canby.  I was in the wrong primary class for a year or 2 before anybody moved me.  Libby read her part on her own, which was exciting.  Christian’s talk went well, although he knew it well enough that he sped through it a bit.  And Jakers was cute.  Of course.

I played only the right hand for each song.  I had planned on doing left hand as well for a couple of them, but I wasn’t good enough at the end, and decided to go with what was comfortable.  And in many cases (The Wise Man and the Foolish man as well as Nephi’s Courage) I just made sure to get the melody plunked out.  Even the right hand harmony was too much.  I made many mistakes, but it was still my best-ever run of those songs.  And I wasn’t nervous, which was a first.  It worked well, and I suppose I won’t be fired any time soon.

Choir was a little odd, because our accompanist was out.  We worked on a song I inherited from the previous choir director, read a new piece from an old song book (1900) that I bought in Spokane last year, and sang through Some Children See Him.  It was nice.  A sister in the ward helped out on parts as much as she could at the piano, and that was great. 

We relaxed at home – leftovers for lunch, the adults napped while the kids played.  Katrina made tuna melts for dinner, and she and I and Libby talked with my mom for a long time.  It was Sunday as Sunday should be. 

I worked on blogs in the evening, and went to bed at 9.  
Libby, talking with Nana on the phone.

No comments: