Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My wife loves me

"How do you know?"  

Because I saw what she was going to get me for Christmas.  And it arrived this morning.  And it's awesome.

A month or so ago, I went in to the office at home and as I stepped over the baby gate, she told me I couldn't look at her screen.  She closed the tab she was on.  Then she went out.  And I was unable to resist.  I looked up her history and saw the biggest, baddest tool box on earth.  Stainless steel, 400lbs, casters, full-length ball bearing slides, the works.  

This is the woman who, 9 (!) years ago gave me a Craftsman saw and drill for our first married Christmas.  

The thing that makes this a special gift for me is that true gift giving has to be about the receiver, and not the giver.  This tool box, while providing some ancilary goodness for her, is all for me.  It replaces a portable tool box she got for me 8 years ago (!) when we were apartment-dwellers.  It will allow me to stop complaining that other members of my wonderful family take tools and do not return them.  It will allow our tool bench (old kitchen cupboards) to become something other than a garage version of the Exxon Valdez.  It recognizes my handiness; it is plumes for my manliness; something shiny that isn't a decoration.  

I hope what I've planned for Katrina is as cool for her.  


No comments: