Sunday, May 10, 2009

I finally got it right - after 10 years

Mother's Day has always been a challenge for me.  Not more than anyone else, I know, but still: I've always tried to be very good at anything I did, and I wasn't getting Mother's Day right.

I think it revolved around my selfishness.  I've learned a lot about that side of myself over the last year, and worked to overcome it.  So this year, I feel like I finally gave Katrina the tribute she deserved as my companion in life and raising our children.  It turned out that the dollar amount wasn't important at all.  It really was the thought and the effort that counted.  

This year, I thought and planned for a few weeks, and it worked out really well.  I got the motorhome ready to go (de-winterized, checked out, packed) and got sitters for the kids, and took her away on Friday for a night at Cannon Beach.  We did fun, no-stress stuff, got home Saturday and she wasn't ready for the piece I prepared for the recital.  Another good surprise.  

It was all about her - I got flowers on Tuesday, and didn't even get her a card.  But I think this weekend will be one she'll always remember fondly.  

10 years, 10 Mother's Days.  And I finally got one right.  

No comments: