Thursday, January 15, 2009

Miscommunication and redemption

It was late, close to bed time, and Aria had some homework due the next day.  She was tired and frustrated (it's her first book report) and wasn't making good progress.  I tried to help her by asking leading questions, but she just had an exasperated look on her face.  "I just don't get it!!"  At some point, I told her (maybe too strongly) that she needed to buckle down and just write down the answer to the question.  She asked a question, I replied.  She then replied to me in a way that was insulting to me.

I took offense and parroted the words back to her.  She said, "You don't understand!"  I parroted back her words again, and then the doorbell rang and I had to get it.  I told her we'd talk about it in a few minutes.  I left her crying at the table.  I felt justified.  I took care of the business at the door in about 10 minutes, and as I walked back into the house, I caught up with her in the play room.  I asked her what I didn't understand.  Turns out that I had answered in the affirmative, and she had thought I answered in the negative, which fueled her offensive response.

Turns out I was a big oaf.  I was reminded, again, that nobody means to be offensive.  If I take offense at something, I have to take the effort to confirm that the sentiment I understood was the sentiment conveyed.  In this case, it wasn't.  I apologized.  I told her I should not have gotten angry, and I labeled the incident a miscommunication.  We hugged, she forgave me, we moved on.

Moments like that are one of parenting's biggest perks.  It really makes me a better person all around. As a follow on, just yesterday or the day before I heard Aria remark in passing that she had had a miscommunication with someone.  What a kid.  

Also - I found out by accident (I do this sometimes just for fun) that Aria can do fractions now.  We were measuring to hang up a mirror in her bedroom, and I asked her what 18 - 4 1/2 was.  She gave me the right answer.  Then I asked her what half of 4 1/2 was.  Again, she was right.  Cool.

No comments: